Phil is a member of the corporate practice group of Bartlit Beck, where he focuses his practice on M&A and related financing transactions. Phil also advises private equity funds, their portfolio companies, and other public and private companies on a variety of transactional and general corporate matters. Prior to joining Bartlit Beck, Phil practiced in the corporate department of Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in New York City, where he advised financial institutions, private equity and hedge funds, and Fortune 500 companies in a wide range of transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, fund formations, credit facilities, securities offerings, and securities laws compliance.
- Acquisition of MES Fire. Represented Platte River Equity in its acquisition of MES Fire, a premier equipment supplier and service provider to first responders throughout the United States.
General Corporate and M&A Counsel to Foxhole Group. Serves as primary outside counsel to the Foxhole Group in M&A and other strategic transactions, including its acquisition of CCK Automations, a designer and manufacturer of printed circuit board assemblies.
- Acquisition of GME Supply. Represented Platte River Equity in its acquisition of GME Supply, a premier retailer and distributor of fall protection and safety equipment for at-height workers in the telecommunications, wind, solar, industrial, and construction markets.
- Sale of PRV Metals. Represented Platte River Equity in the sale of its portfolio company, PRV Metals, a provider of forged titanium and steel products, to Tinicum.
- Acquisition of Sherrill. Represented Platte River Equity in its acquisition of Sherrill, a leading direct retailer and distributor of arborist tools and equipment.
- Sale of Profile Products. Represented Platte River Equity in the sale of its portfolio company, Profile Products, a leading manufacturer of erosion control, vegetative establishment, mulch, and soil amendment products, to Incline Equity Partners.
Acquisition of Dealers Transmission Exchange. Represented Platte River Equity in its acquisition of Dealers Transmission Exchange, a leading provider of powertrain services to the mining, oil and gas, metals, and wind generation industries.
- General Corporate and M&A Counsel to Vertical Supply Group. Serves as outside general counsel to VSG and represents VSG in domestic and cross-border strategic transactions, including its acquisitions of Atlantic Braids, Fred Marvin, Sterling Rope, Bishop Supply, rescueDIRECT and Groundskeeper.
- General Corporate and M&A Counsel to Profile Products. Serves as outside general counsel to Profile Products in a variety of domestic and cross-border transactions, including its acquisitions of Sunterra Horticulture and HydroStraw, and general corporate matters.
- General Corporate and M&A Counsel to GME Supply. Serves as outside general counsel to GME Supply and represents it in domestic and cross-border strategic transactions, including its acquisitions of Gearcor, Custom Tool Supply, TEAM-1 Academy and SafetyLMS.
M&A Counsel to In-Place Machining Company. Serves as M&A counsel to In-Place Machining Company in domestic and cross-border transactions, including its acquisitions of OASIS Alignment Services and Exact Metrology.
Notable Engagements Prior to Joining Bartlit Beck
- Represented a private equity firm in its sale of minority stakes in seven U.S. hotels to a foreign sovereign wealth fund.
- Represented a publicly traded insurance company in its sale of a majority stake in a direct-to-consumer insurance sales company.
- Represented a publicly traded Fortune 50 U.S. technology company in its acquisitions of U.S. and India software development companies.
- Represented a strategic buyer in its acquisition of a majority stake in a leading international marketing company.
- Represented a private equity firm in the formations of, and fund raising for, various new funds ranging from $700 million to $3 billion.
- Represented a business process outsourcing company in its initial public debt offering of senior notes under Rule 144A and Regulation S.
- Represented the underwriters in a Fortune 100 U.S. food and beverage company's record-setting public offering of floating rate notes.
- Represented the initial purchasers in a private offering of senior secured notes under Rule 144A and Regulation S to finance the acquisition of a chemical company.
- Represented the underwriters in a $2 billion foreign sovereign debt offering.
Acknowledgements, Presentations, and Publications
Co-author, Chambers USA Private Equity Guide (2021)
Author, Effectively Defining Material Adverse Change Amid COVID-19, Law360 (2021)
Co-author, Chambers USA Private Equity Guide (2020)
Co-author, Chambers USA Private Equity Guide (2019)
Co-author, Top 10 Practice Tips by Experts: Investment Grade Debt Offerings, Lexis Practice Advisor (2017)
Education & Honors
Columbia Law School, 2015, J.D.
James Kent Scholar
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Finalist, Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Competition
Executive Editor, Columbia Business Law Review
Boston College, 2012, B.A., magna cum laude
Henry J. McMahon Award (awarded to one senior for scholarship and service to BC)
- New York